Posts by :

    Countdown to December 12

    November 29th, 2017

    Just two weeks from today, we will release Round 1 admissions decisions via the Application Status page. Just log-in at noon eastern time on December 12. In the meantime, try not to think about it! (I know, easier said than done).

    I promise we are not making you wait, just to wait. We are diligently going over each entire application (yes, including your post-interview reflections) as we work to shape an outstanding Class of diverse perspectives.

    One last thing: keep in mind that if you are admitted, you won’t hear about financial aid yet. Admission to HBS is based on merit, but financial aid is based on need. So there is a separate (easy) process after you are admitted to apply for aid. Many are surprised to know that ~50% of HBS students receive financial fellowships that do not have to be paid back—and the average two-year fellowship is over $70K. So there is a lot of support! More details are here on our new Financial Aid website.

    No Comments "

    Thanksgiving

    November 15th, 2017

    Next week is Thanksgiving in the U.S. To those who have been part of Round 1, thank you not just for your interest in HBS – thank you for how generous you’ve been throughout the admissions process.

    During on campus interview days, we have the opportunity to gather interviewees together for a lunch QA session. Those sessions have an interesting mix of emotions since half the room has completed the interview (they’re relieved) and half has not (they’re still anxious). What’s been heartening is to hear how encouraging and helpful the relieved crowd has been to their fellow interviewees. I also saw this play out in Brazil a few weeks ago among interviewees—and have heard from my colleagues around the world: you’re enjoying the interaction with one another and you’re hoping and helping all show their best selves in the interview.

    Generosity is something we like to see. Our learning model depends on students who can give and receive, teach and learn, lead and be led. Given that most students live on campus, generosity is also a foundation for the HBS community—and for a lifetime of leadership.

    So, thank you for how generous you’ve been in sharing your experiences, your dreams, and yourselves with us. And thanks for being generous with one another.

    I’ll post again in about two weeks regarding specifics for Notification Day on December 12. And for those of you working on Round 2 applications, we can’t wait to meet you, too. Please reach out at +1 617-495-6128 or admissions@hbs.edu if we can be of any help.

    No Comments "

    Round 1 Final Interview Notifications

    October 5th, 2017

    Good morning! All remaining Round 1 decisions (interview invite, early release, further consideration) will be shared today at 12 noon eastern time. To access your decision, log in to your application and view your Status Update.

    For those invited to interview, the sign-ups will be immediately available. And don’t worry, we have managed the interview slots so there are plenty of options available today. While availability in our hub cities is typically more limited, we always have spots on campus. There is no advantage/difference to one location over another.

    To those who are “released” today, I know this is hard news. As we’ve gotten to know you, of course we wish we could move more of you forward in the process. Thank you for what you have shared with us and for your interest in HBS.

    No Comments "

    R1 Interview Invitations

    October 3rd, 2017

    Quick note: As promised, interview invitations will start going out today.

    Approximately 2/3 of the Round 1 interview invitations will go out at approximately noon Eastern time today via email, with interview slots opening for registration Tuesday, October 3. The remaining 1/3 will go out on Thursday, October 5, along with the “further consideration” or “early release” decisions. So if you don’t hear anything today, please stick with us until Thursday!

    No Comments "

    Round 1: Next Steps

    September 21st, 2017

    For those of you who applied in Round 1, didn’t it feel good to hit the “submit” button? I distinctly remember that feeling—the culmination of some serious self-reflection and work. We don’t take that for granted and thank you for applying to HBS. On our end, every application is read in its entirety by two separate members of the Admissions Board. We’re trying to get to know you holistically.

    What’s next? Interview invitations will go out on October 2 and October 5. We do it in two batches to spread out the traffic on the interview sign-up pages. On October 2, you may receive a message inviting you to interview, or you will hear nothing. On October 5, you will hear one of three things from us: 1) invitation to interview 2) release or 3) further consideration. By releasing those of you who we cannot move forward in the process, rather than waiting until December to let you know—we hope to give you time to explore other potential options. For group 3), we would like to further consider your applications in Round 2, and more details will be shared directly about next steps.

    Interviews are my favorite part of the process because we finally get to meet you in person. Interviews will occur between mid-October and mid-November. In addition to on-campus interviews, we also conduct interviews in Shanghai, Tokyo, Dubai, Mumbai, São Paulo, New York City, Bay Area CA, London, and Paris. Where you interview does NOT affect your likelihood to be accepted (all interviews globally are conducted only by members of the Admissions Board). Choose what’s most convenient for you, and if you aren’t able to travel, we will work something out via Skype.

    So, we’ll be back in touch in about two weeks!

    No Comments "

    Class of 2019 + GRE Scores

    August 30th, 2017

    Yesterday was the first day for the Class of 2019—a truly impressive group of leaders—and we’ve updated the Class Profile here.

    For the first time, we’ve published data about the GRE test—12% of the HBS Class of 2019 submitted GRE scores as part of their application; the remaining 88% submitted GMAT scores. I thought this would be a good chance to review how we think about standardized test scores. Here goes:

    Test scores help us determine your preparation for an academically rigorous program, but we never look at them in isolation. 
    Transcripts, work experience, recommenders, essay, interview—and everything else in our process—come together as we make admissions decisions.

    The GRE and GMAT are different tests, and we are truly indifferent about which one you submit. 
    Really. We are familiar with each test. Choose the one that allows you to best show your strengths, then move on to other parts of your application. 

    We know you’re much more than a test score.
    The whole application and interview process are designed to help us get to know you. We’re trying to imagine what you would contribute in the HBS classroom and community. As I’ve written about before, our learning model depends on a wide range of talent and perspectives in each Class—and we know that not all that talent is measurable in a test.

    No Comments "

    Class of 2019 + GRE Scores

    August 30th, 2017

    Yesterday was the first day for the Class of 2019—a truly impressive group of leaders—and we’ve updated the Class Profile here.

    For the first time, we’ve published data about the GRE test—12% of the HBS Class of 2019 submitted GRE scores as part of their application; the remaining 88% submitted GMAT scores. I thought this would be a good chance to review how we think about standardized test scores. Here goes:

    Test scores help us determine your preparation for an academically rigorous program, but we never look at them in isolation. 
    Transcripts, work experience, recommenders, essay, interview—and everything else in our process—come together as we make admissions decisions.

    The GRE and GMAT are different tests, and we are truly indifferent about which one you submit. 
    Really. We are familiar with each test. Choose the one that allows you to best show your strengths, then move on to other parts of your application. 

    We know you’re much more than a test score.
    The whole application and interview process are designed to help us get to know you. We’re trying to imagine what you would contribute in the HBS classroom and community. As I’ve written about before, our learning model depends on a wide range of talent and perspectives in each Class—and we know that not all that talent is measurable in a test.

    No Comments "

    Class of 2019 + GRE Scores

    August 30th, 2017

    Yesterday was the first day for the Class of 2019—a truly impressive group of leaders—and we’ve updated the Class Profile here.

    For the first time, we’ve published data about the GRE test—12% of the HBS Class of 2019 submitted GRE scores as part of their application; the remaining 88% submitted GMAT scores. I thought this would be a good chance to review how we think about standardized test scores. Here goes:

    Test scores help us determine your preparation for an academically rigorous program, but we never look at them in isolation. 
    Transcripts, work experience, recommenders, essay, interview—and everything else in our process—come together as we make admissions decisions.

    The GRE and GMAT are different tests, and we are truly indifferent about which one you submit. 
    Really. We are familiar with each test. Choose the one that allows you to best show your strengths, then move on to other parts of your application. 

    We know you’re much more than a test score.
    The whole application and interview process are designed to help us get to know you. We’re trying to imagine what you would contribute in the HBS classroom and community. As I’ve written about before, our learning model depends on a wide range of talent and perspectives in each Class—and we know that not all that talent is measurable in a test.

    No Comments "

    Countdown to Round 1 & Class Visits

    August 25th, 2017

    Students from the Class of 2019 are moving in this weekend, and that means Round 1 for Class of 2020 is just around the corner. I’ll post the final Class of 2019 Profile next week.

    As you look ahead to September 6, keep a few things in mind:

    • We won’t read any applications until after the noon EST deadline. (So, there’s no advantage to submitting earlier.)
    • Your recommendations are also due at noon EST on September 6. But, we get it…and we keep the access open for recommenders for a few more days.
    • We’ll update you on interview plans in a few weeks.

    For those of you applying in a later round or year, class visits are now open. Come see the case method in action! 

    No Comments "

    Application Advice

    August 1st, 2017

    Hard to believe August is here. I hope you’ve had a great few months. We’ve been on the road meeting many of you in cities all over the world, and we love it. For those of you applying in Round 1, good luck as you pull things together ahead of the September 6 deadline.

    Can I offer you two words of advice? Be genuine. 

    I know you’ve heard this before. Let me explain what I mean: I felt a need when I was in your shoes to write, edit, rewrite, edit, rewrite, edit…you get the picture. In doing so, there was a temptation to “gloss over” what I thought would be the weaker parts of my application and to portray everything in the most positive light.

    Yes, we want you to put your best foot forward, but be careful not to be so “polished” that we can’t get to know the real you. 

    It’s OK to mention setbacks or regrets as well as lessons learned and personal triumphs. And it’s OK to be conversational as you write! Just be genuine so we can get to know the real you. Since we are crafting a Class, that’s your best strategy for moving on to the interview stage.

    No Comments "

Copyright © 2017 MBAcrunch All Rights Reserved.